Wednesday, May 26, 2010

Shana Ozark

I got some bad news today - Shana Ozark passed away on May 22 at 88 years of age. Shana who you say?? She was Jack Ozark's wife and worked briefly as an inbetweener at the Fleischer Miami Studio when Jack went into the service in 1942. She had a long career in the animation business, much of the time working as an assistant alongside Jack at Filmation.

I met and interviewed Shana last year. She was like a breath of fresh air to the past. Despite her deteriorating health, she was full of spunk and eager to tell me about her's and Jack's experiences. Shana's memory was amazing - especially for her age. She was extremely generous with her time and memories. Meeting her was an experience I will always cherish.

More on Shana in a future post.

Shana at Filmation (not sure of the date - sometime in the 70's perhaps)

6 comments:

Steven M. said...

All these deaths of famous cartoonist and animators are overwhelming.

J.V. (AKA "White Pongo") said...

This is sad news. We are fortunate that she was able to give an interview about her time at the Fleischers'. My condolences to Shana's family.

Anonymous said...

Wow. Even more depressing news for the animation industry. 2010 just keeps unraveling more and more. It's pretty amazing how you got so much information out of one of the few remaining people from the Golden Age.

The Crazy HR said...

I'm beginning to think that this year will be the saddest for animation fans. So many deaths of Golden Age animators, directors...

Retired said...

Just heard from Shana Ozarks daughter about her demise on May 22. Jack was my cousin and we used to visit both of them when they were in Miami Beach, in 1987 (I think). I talked to Shana just a few months ago and was sorry to hear about Shana as she was doing so well when I last talked to her at her Retirement Village in CA.

I live in MS and am 92, and remember Jack's parents when I was very young and living in CT. They were originally from Patterson, NJ if my memory is correct.

Glad to hear an account by an associate. They were very generous and visited us in MS many years ago on the way from CA to FL which was more than once.

Lou Shornick

Bob Jaques said...

Lou - you're correct. Jack's parents lived in Patterson when he applied for a job at the Fleischer Studio. I believe Shana said that Jack and his parents lived in Wisconsin for a short while when they first immigrated to the US.

Since you are family did you call him Jake or Jack?? Shana told me she was responsible for the name change to Jack.